Nursing home neglect is incredibly serious – and it happens far more often than you may think. The Law Offices of Greenstein and Milbauer focuses on helping the elderly and their families deal with these horrific situations.
Nursing homes are supposed to provide the care that we’re unable to provide for our loved ones. That’s why people pay for their services. Unfortunately, many don’t live up to their obligations. Neglect is common in nursing homes, and while it’s tragic, that neglect often leads to extreme illness and death.
Nursing home neglect in NY can take many forms, including:
- Failing to give necessary medications
- Providing unsanitary living conditions
- Failing to change our loved one’s clothing or bed linens
- Emotional neglect, such as leaving our loved one alone or treating him or her differently from others
There are several signs that your loved one may be suffering from neglect in a nursing home, including:
- Frequent preventable illnesses
- Severe, prolonged illnesses
- Preventable injuries
- Weight loss
- Hygiene problems
- Visible environmental issues, such as dim lights or slippery floors
- Lack of interaction with other residents or staff
Nothing can tell you that your loved one is being neglected better than your loved one, though. For example, while malnutrition in a nursing home is difficult to spot without significant weight loss, simply asking your loved one to describe the food they’re receiving and how they’re being treated can clue you in on all the important details.
Depression is another common symptom of nursing home neglect, so it’s important that you watch your loved one for signs of that, as well. The more often you visit, the better your loved one’s chances of being treated fairly and cared for properly.